For more than 35 years, the Public School Forum of North Carolina has worked to shape world-class public schools that inspire and support all children and drive a vibrant North Carolina economy through research, policy work, programs, advocacy, and continuing education for educators and policymakers. We are a not-for-profit partnership of leaders from business, education, and government that makes significant contributions to K-12 public education in North Carolina. In addition to education policy analysis and research, the Forum has created and run numerous programs, including the North Carolina Teaching Fellows Program, the Dudley Flood Center for Educational Equity and Opportunity, the Rural Teacher Leadership Network (RTLN), the NC Center for Afterschool Programs (NC CAP), the North Carolina Education Policy Fellowship Program (EPFP), and the NC Resilience and Learning Project. In the Fall of 2016, the Forum began hosting a weekly television program, Education Matters, which airs on WRAL-TV, FOX50 and UNC-TV’s NC Channel.
The Forum seeks a Communications Coordinator to contribute to the planning and execution of a communications strategic plan and aid in the development of a robust social media presence for the Forum. The Coordinator will develop creative social media campaigns that challenge the ordinary and advance storytelling in ways that engage and inform our education advocates, leaders, and the general public about the importance of public education. Activities will include but will not be limited to:
- Brainstorming and creating content for social media channels;
- Diving into social media data & analytics;
- Exploring social media management tools & technology;
- Working across programs at the Forum to learn about ongoing advocacy, needs and gaps that could be addressed through more engagement in online spaces;
- Contributing to other Forum communications, including the weekly Friday Report, as well as event communications that include our annual Jay Robinson Awards Gala, Eggs & Issues Breakfast, and other events as needed.
The ideal candidate is someone who loves to stay up to date with social media trends and online spaces in the education advocacy world. We seek original thinkers who have a natural curiosity to dig deeper and learn quickly.
The Coordinator will also work with Forum staff to support communications efforts around the Forum’s core research products and publications that advance the organization’s mission to provide trusted, nonpartisan, evidence-based research, policy analysis and innovative programs that empower an informed public to demand that education best practice becomes common practice throughout North Carolina.
This full-time position would be ideal for a recent graduate looking to make an immediate impact while building a strong network in North Carolina education policy and programs.
Qualifications: Candidate Profile and Experience
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the Public School Forum’s mission.
- Comfortable working in a public facing role to develop the Forum’s social media voice and engagement strategy, which takes time and a willingness to become immersed in the online #nced community.
- Experienced in basic graphic design, using Canva or a similar application.
- Ability to operate with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational and relational skills; self-starter; exceptional attention to detail.
- Flexibility, drive, and willingness to work as a team player to meet organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work on several simultaneous tasks and projects.
- Strong writing skills and effective communication skills.
- High level of computer, web, and social media proficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
This is a full-time position with a salary range of $45,000 – $50,000. The Public School Forum offers the following benefits: a generous 401K retirement plan; personal leave policy, term life insurance, and employer sponsored group health insurance with access to dental, vision, and short and long term disability plans. The Public School Forum of NC is a 35 year old nonprofit organization and not a state employer.
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through January 31, 2022.
Public School Forum of NC
1017 Main Campus Drive, Suite 2300
Raleigh, NC 27606