→ To download the Top Education Issues, please click here.
→ To download the press release, please click here.
This year’s event will feature a brief presentation of the Top Education Issues by the Forum’s President/Executive Director, Dr. Mary Ann Wolf, and the Forum’s Senior Director of Policy, Dr. Lauren Fox.
Following the presentation, there will be two interactive discussions that will address elements of the Forum’s Progress Report on our Top Education Issues for 2021-22 and will be featured on future episodes of the Forum’s television show, Education Matters (WRAL-TV).
Interactive Discussion 1: PreK-12 Education is the Foundation for NC’s Workforce, Economy and Civic Engagement
- Emma Battle, Higher Ed Works
- JB Buxton, Durham Tech Community College
- Renee Cavan, Truist
- Eugenia Floyd, 2021 NC Teacher of the Year
- Dale Jenkins, Curi (Retired)
- Joshua Webb, Edgecombe Early College High School
Moderator: Dr. Mary Ann Wolf, Public School Forum of NC
Interactive Discussion 2: The Workforce Crisis within Education
- Elena Ashburn, 2021 NC Principal of the Year
- Sen. Deanna Ballard, NC General Assembly
- Jennie Bryan, 2021 Southeast Regional Teacher of the Year
- Rep. Ashton Clemmons, NC General Assembly
- Debra Derr, NC Chamber
- Lisa Eads, NC Community Colleges
- Deanna Townsend-Smith, NC State Board of Education
- Liliana Soto, Vance County Schools
- Kathy Spencer, Southeast Education Alliance
- Tre Woods, NC Teacher Cadet
Moderators: Dr. Lauren Fox, Public School Forum of NC & Dr. Mary Ann Wolf, Public School Forum of NC
Click here to purchase your ticket.
2021 Eggs & Issues
On Thursday, January 28th, 2021, the Public School Forum hosted its 7th Annual Eggs and Issues. This virtual event included the release of the Public School Forum’s Top Education Issues for 2021 and two panels with various education stakeholders from across the state. Each year the Forum features the Top Education Issues facing North Carolina that we believe will drive policy debate during the upcoming legislative session.
2021 Top Education Issues
This Year’s Top Issue:
Teacher Recruitment, Retention and Diversity
Social and Emotional Learning
Inclusive, Culturally Responsive Curriculum and Pedagogy
Flexibility for Local School Districts
Assessment and Accountability
Afterschool Programs and Expanded Learning
Early Childhood Education & Literacy
Adequate and Equitable State Funding to Support Public Education
Top Education Issues 2021